Monday, September 13, 2010

Why I do what I do

I have loved making art for most of my life, but the decision to make it my focus came in 11th grade when I switched high schools so I could have access to a dark room. That was the same year I decided to make Ringling my goal. I joined the fine art department because I wanted to be a painter, but in realizing I enjoyed building my canvases more than painting on them I decided to try sculpture. I love sculpture, the technical processes, and measurements, and the problem solving. My real passion however is printmaking, and after sophomore year I was hooked. I am an artist because I lose myself in my work. I believe that if you do a job you love you will never work a day in your life, and I don’t plan on working now.
I have had a hint of my thesis plan in my head since freshman year. It has changed and molded, but I keep coming back to water. It was an unexplained love so I started to research my obsession with this element. As most people know I am a kayaker, and I like kayaking almost as much as making art. Why I had not combined them sooner I have no idea. I realized over the years my favorite places to kayak were disappearing, and this lit my fire. My thesis is about protecting the environments I hold dear to me. I am focusing specifically on Florida wetlands because this is my home, and these wetlands have played a special role in my upbringing. I have never lived anywhere else and have a sense of pride and urgency to protect my state.

No comments:

Post a Comment