Friday, February 18, 2011

Jeremy's questions

1.Does the premise of condensing hundreds of religions and philosophies into one 2 hour-long documentary seem ill-serving to the history and magnitude of the subject matter?
Its an interesting question but I feel like it’s a pretty appropriate approach to the subject given how we are as a whole. We want everything instantly, our lives continually get faster, and even this video seemed a little long winded on the subject. While it may be ill serving to a subject such as death and our place in this world; would it get the point across if it were any longer? I guess it depends on the audience he wants to attract.

2. Do you consider your religious or non-religious beliefs before creating art?

I would have to say that my religion effects everything I do.

3. Sartre's understanding of life is that it reflects the experience of one's existence. How does your artwork reflect the experience of your existence?
My artwork directly reflects some of my favorite experiences in life. It is my personal way of entering back into the experiences. Making art is like an escape similar to the subject that I make art about. I feel that I exist in a hectic world, and try and escape whenever I can.

4. "The fact that we all suffer from the day we’re born to the day that we expire…is funny." What part should humor play in the discussion of religion and mortality?
Part of life is being able to laugh at inappropriate things to make them bearable, and to be able to laugh at your self. I don’t agree however that we suffer from the day we are born to the day we expire. Humor is a tool to make people more comfortable, and depending on the message can hinder or help an artist.

5. Is it ultimately futile for me to investigate an experience I may never consciously take part of?
Investigating this ahead of time will most likely help you in your own walk partially preparing you for the situation should it arise. You are also ultimately interested in the topic and its only natural to be curious about death, so why not study it. As far as many people in your video are concerned life is futile anyways. Does it really matter what we do?

6. Is my pursuit of personal meaning through the creation of art absurd in relation to my perception of the meaninglessness of the universe?
When you put it that way yes. What is the point of pursuing personal meaning if the universe is meaningless? On the other hand rolling over and just letting things happen and not caring why or how wastes the mind. Your pursuit of personal meaning may not only benefit you but those who you come in contact with. Its similar to those who are currently influencing your ideas and art.

7. If I was to die and "become my past" as explained by Sartre, how would my artwork play a role in that process? Would my work become the past as well?
It depends, are you becoming your past with the knowledge of your present? Or are you just dead as Sartre puts it in his article. I feel as though he is speaking about ones inability to be present anymore, but if one passes away their art would have already been created in the past. That is not to say that you could not live on through your artwork though. Many people use the word “timeless” to describe artwork, as though the image will never be outdated. If your art expresses this “timeless” it will not drift into the past; only the memory of you creating it will.

8. Am I qualified to explore death in my work? Does one have to be personally touched by death to be able to explore it in their work?
I think this makes a huge difference. That if by some chance someone close to you dies, your view on it may change. If you have never experienced the feelings that come with death how can you know. On the other hand maybe studying death to the extent that you have will cause you to become indifferent to death when it happens, and nothing will change. Death does not only include people though. I am sure you have had brushes with dead animals/plants. Why not include these in your repertoire as brushes with death?

No comments:

Post a Comment